Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Laura's Surgical Story

Hi. My name is Laura. I am 5 years old. I had surgery today. And this is my story.

My tonsils and adenoids were too big. Mommy got really scared when she listened to me breathe at night. When we were at the hotel for Uncle Jerry's funeral, she was scared there was a dinosaur in the room. When I had a sleepover in her big comfy bed after watching Christmas shows, she said it sounded like I was breathing through a very tiny straw. Sometimes I would stop breathing! My mommy got so scared when that happened.

My Mommy and Daddy talked about how I have been so tired since September. They thought it was because I had started going to school. I kept falling asleep on the couch in the afternoons. I was always saying "I'm so tired". But even when I started going to bed earlier at night, I still felt so sleepy.

In November, food would get stuck in my throat when I was eating lunch or dinner. I didn't like that, and it would make me sad. I would drink extra water, milk, or juice, and then the food could get down to my tummy.

At conferences last week, my teacher asked my Mommy if I had hearing problems. I seem to be an "auditory learner" (whatever that is), but I don't know what sounds the letters make very well. I had my ears tested lots of times when I was a baby and little girl because I had to be on a very big and noisy machine (called an oscillator) that kept me alive when I was born. I had to take tests every six months until I was three years old. Mommy said I was an "A+" student and always passed with flying colors.....when I was cooperating.

Mommy and Daddy called my doctor and wanted me to have a sleeping test. Well, my doctor took one look inside my mouth and said, "We don't need to have a sleeping test. You need to see a special doctor." She had my Mommy look at my tonsils. Mommy said they were so big that they were almost touching!

Daddy called his friend who was a special (ENT) doctor. We went to see him right away. He said that I would need surgery. I said, "No, I don't need surgery." But the doctor said, "Yes."

I was scared about having surgery. I asked Mommy and Daddy lots of questions. I was excited to get lots of ice cream and popsicles! My Mommy took me to Mall of America to get a Pillow Pet. I picked a pink pig. Her name is Anna. She is so soft! I sleep with her at night.

Today we drove Melissa and Crispy to school first. Mommy packed a backpack for me with my favorite Chipmunks book and Dora doll babies. I hugged Anna on my lap. I wore the special hat and scarf and mittens that Papa Don made for me. They make me happy. Then we drove to the hospital. Daddy is a crazy driver! He tells silly jokes too.
We walked into the hospital and Bethany wasn't crazy because she was asleep. We got to ride some elevators. My favorite one is the one with all the changing colors on the windows. We read my Chipmunks book lots of times when we were waiting.

Grandma and Grandpa Connelly came to the hospital too. They came into the play room with me to help me pick out lipsmacker flavors for my mask. We played a trick on Mommy and Daddy! I picked two flavors and they had to guess! It was hard for them. They weren't so good at that game. I picked watermelon and raspberry.

I got to wear special pajamas. The nurse took my blood pressure and checked my temperature. I was a little bit worried. My Mommy and Daddy had to wear special gowns and hats. They looked silly! Anna stayed with me the whole time.

Mommy and Daddy's friend, Chris, was one of my doctors. He stayed with me for my whole surgery. He helped me sleep and stay safe. He made sure I didn't hurt anything. He is a nice doctor. He saw me when I was born, too! I was glad he stayed with me. Mommy and Daddy said they were so glad, too.

My surgery took 20 minutes, but I don't remember anything. My dad said "chickenbutt" when I was falling asleep. I said "rooster". That was the joke we were saying when we were driving! When I woke up later, I said "rooster" again. My Mommy and Daddy were happy I was waking up. I don't remember saying these things. But I guess we all were smiling about it.

My Daddy gave me a purple popsicle. My throat hurt. My nurse took too long to get the medicine. I asked why it was taking so long for her to come. My Daddy wanted to go get some for me. The medicine was really icky. But it helped my throat feel better. I put some ice on my neck. Mommy sat in my pocket on the bed so we could snuggle.

Mommy and Daddy brought me a present. It was a giant princess balloon and little Alvin and the Chipmunks toys. Grandma and Grandpa brought me a Hello Kitty balloon and some Fancy Nancy books. And a bear, and a pig, and a bird-thing. I opened them at home and Mommy read the books to me. We thought of some more fancy words to use later.

I wanted to play in the play room with the toys, but it was time to go. My surgery was so fast that I didn't have time to play! The nice lady gave me doctor stuff for all my brothers and sisters to play with at home. Daddy pushed me in a wheelchair.

My throat hurts a lot. The medicine was icky. Mommy said I was acting crazy and they couldn't make me sit still. I wanted to run around, and my eyes looked small and strange. I couldn't rest or sleep for the whole day. I ate lots of ice cream. Daddy bought me lots of ice cream and popsicles. Alex bought me lots of ice cream and pudding. Alex bought me a smiley face balloon and some pretty pink flowers. Pink is my favorite color! Mommy said she will be my personal penguin for 6 days.

I don't like having surgery very much. But I am OK. Mommy and Daddy say I am so brave.

1 comment:

Alison said...

Love your pictures! Can I have a big copy of the picture with Chris? Chris says it's really helpful for him to hear the backstory about what was happening before the surgery - "I was really tired, food was getting stuck in my throat"...etc. Thanks for sharing!