Friday, August 21, 2009

Plain and Simply Crazy

My first baby's going to college. It feels crazy. Like, REALLY crazy. Wasn't he just two years old spinning on the old Sit-n-Spin repeating, "Getting busy(=dizzy)!" over and over? Didn't he just get on the Kindergarten bus for the first time? Didn't I just finish making him that large CatDog cake for his birthday party with all his little friends? Wasn't he just standing at the podium reading from the Bible out loud in church for the first time after learning how to read? Wasn't he just running around the backyard playing "lightsabers" with all the neighbor boys the other day? Craziness, I tell you. Craziness.
My mom came over to watch ALL the kids so that Alex and I could head down to Mankato with all our wits about us. As a special treat for my son, I purposely DID NOT bring my camera with us as we went down to College Orientation today. (Though as you can see, I really couldn't help myself, and finally succumbed to the pressure of needing to take a picture or two with my phone instead.) I had Alex drive the route, in order to familiarize him with this daily path her would be taking. 1 hour, 15 minutes each way, everyday. Yeesh. If he is not a good driver already, he will be one when this is all over!


The campus was fairly huge, and college students were everywhere, moving into dorms, and roaming the buildings and streets. We found a place to park which was only 1/2 mile away from our building, and enjoyed the easy stroll along the edge of campus. We arrived to our destination precisely on time, but behind at least 126 other PSEO students. No matter. The PSEO students are the last ones the picking-classes chain anyhow.

We listened to introductions of names I will never remember, campus info I soon forgot, and directions on how to register/drop/and add classes which were too difficult to follow. For me. Not for my techy, smart son. No, oh no. He can follow computer directions and probably even build one in his sleep. It is amazing the ease with which kids these days navigate technology.
Alex registered for a few classes and band, with plans on taking the math placement test next week so that he can get into calculus and statistics. I got him a parking card ($134 for a spot in the 1/2 mile away lot). We got his books ($240 for two paperbacks, thankfully paid for by the state). Then Alex got his photo ID badge. Whoa. Somehow, that made it all seem official. Seeing his name and picture on that little card.....I almost cried. Or maybe I did cry. Not sure....I was so overwhelmed. But not Alex. He is just taking it all in stride. And he is so completely ready for starting this college life on Monday. I am so proud of him. He has been waiting for this ever since he walked up those Kindergarten bus steps eleven years ago.

CRAZY.

No comments: