Sunday, April 26, 2009

Lying Low

This weekend was scheduled to be packed again as usual. Michael had a few hockey games, Alex had marching band rehearsals, Jonny and Crispy had Cub Scout clean-up to celebrate Earth Day this week, and Melissa had a very special Brownie Scout event of her own.....a sleepover at the Children's Museum!

With Bethany demanding some individual attention lately, we have been cutting out as many non-essential activities as we can. That is a hard thing to do as the school year is beginning to wind down, and concerts, award ceremonies, and end-of-year events abound. To modify this weekend, Michael was sent to hockey with the neighbors, who repeatedly bail us out of car pool situations. And because Daddy had to go into work unexpectedly on Saturday, he organized his timing between dropping Alex off at rehearsal and picking him up several hours later. Instead of traipsing all the way out to St.Boni with all of my remaining children, I sent Jonny and Crispy out in our yard and neighborhood with garbage bag and gloves....it did not take them long at all to fill up that bag! Though I was the one scheduled to take the girls to the museum drop off spot, my neighbor insisted her husband take the girls instead.....I think that she and Bob had some sort of discussion at hockey the night before about keeping me on the couch.

While Bob was at work, I began washing baby clothes...I was astounded by the amount of small summer pink things we have in great shape! This little girl will NOT be lacking in the clothing department! I washed up her new, soft blankies, slings, swing pads, and car seat covers....it smells so good in here with all these freshly washed items hanging all over our house to dry! Her diaper bag is now packed (except for actual diapers...oops!). We are ready for when bedrest (beyond our own self-modified type going on now) and/or baby comes.

Melissa had a great time at the museum. She had been quite nervous about going, as I had been planning on being one of the adults going along before this baby monkey business began. But, she came home well rested on Sunday morning, talking about how much fun it was to be in the museum during special hours, eating pizza and drinking lemonade, having a great breakfast in the morning, and sleeping in the Clifford exhibit. Apparently, their Troop was a little bit disappointed to be in that room....I guess at night, a giant red dog can look a little creepy as it hovers over your sleeping bag.

We spent the rest of that rainy Sunday just hanging out at home, taking it easy, finishing the wash, etc. Michael had his last 2-1/2 hour long scrimmage, which I managed to make it to the last 15 minutes of. Those kids have so much fun on the ice, as the two Waconia teams play each other. Every check is met with a smile, fake fights break out all over the place, and they are simply GOOFY half the time. It is really heart-warming to watch them turn something as competitive as hockey into the fun it is suppose to be for a group of kids. A number of us parents are looking into buying ice time to continue this throughout the summer months....it will keep them skating AND having a great time before the formal serious season starts again in September.

This evening, the girls got involved in actually cleaning their room. Not only cleaning, but committing to giving some toys away! There is a bit of motivational trickery here....as I was looking for a dresser online for all of Bethany's many many clothes, I came across this ADORABLE doll house shaped bunk bed that sleeps three girls. It is super-duper cute! Well, Mr.Daddy said he would buy it for the girls if they could keep their room clean for three months. Laura immediately took off to clean, and is now expecting her new bed on Tuesday (in 3 DAYS). Melissa reluctantly began cleaning, and then spent many moments crying about losing the bed she has in there now....poor girl is so very sensitive and sentimental! I wouldn't get my hopes up too high, Laura....you girls have quite a project ahead of you!

The boys and I went to church, which I fear I may soon have to start missing. It makes me sad, because it is my favorite place to go, but it is so difficult for me to sit upright like that for so long. I am in such a pathetic state! Anyhow, we have been studying the Book of Daniel for several weeks. Jonny has become so interested, that he is now choosing to be up with us instead of being in his youth service downstairs. I have read the Book of Daniel many times, and studied various parts of it. And VeggieTales has made a nice video about resolute faith found amongst the stories. But we are currently in the prophetic 7th and 8th chapters and it is packed with information! History and prophecy, currentness and vision, good heavens, it has been so much to comprehend....and that is after reading up on the chapters several times BEFORE even attending the sermon. I am secretly hoping it is my pregnancy brain making some of this difficult...I plan on asking Alex all about the Book of Daniel again in July when my brain cells may be resuming their functioning.

I think we did well for scaling back our weekend, making it manageable, yet still getting much accomplished.....just don't judge accomplishment by looking at my sticky floors, food encrusted counters, overflowing sinks, and kids who have been wearing the same clothes since Friday!

No comments: