Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Silver Lining

It is Tuesday......12 days since the sickness entered our house......day number 6 of sickness for me. The kids all returned back to school yesterday, some with yet some minor intestinal upsets. Laura spent yesterday barely eating, and running a slight fever off and on. Tubby did well, except for the constant green buggar river out of his left nostril (this however, is not new...it has been about a three month long problem for him).

I am yet not well, but managed to drink almost enough water yesterday to meet my daily quota. I am attempting a bit of food today, but really am not so optimistic that it will work. Tubby got antibiotics last night, and I am happy to report he has ALREADY had no green buggars to smear across his cheek! Hooray! On the other hand, he IS running warm today, and crying quite a bit.....not looking well. Is another new illness attacking us? I want off this sick train....NOW!

In the midst of all this uckiness, something wonderful has happened.....


Look who is sleeping in his own bed!!!!

Tubby has slept with me since day one. He never slept in his pretty crib even once before I finally took it down a few months ago. This illness has made it impossible for him to be in bed with me due to all the getting up, and inability to move once a comfortable position has been attained. Bob has been wonderful about keeping Tubby downstairs, sleeping on his special blankets and pillows.

The first night (Thursday), Tubby woke up every hour, screaming and crying, running to the library doors to try to get out. The second night, the other kids joined him in a sleepover in the library, and he did much better....only crying every hour or so, but not trying to run away. The third night, the kids all had a sleepover in the boys' room, with Tubby in his own bed, the kids on the floor next to him. He only awoke every other hour, sat up, and cried. Jonny rubbed his back each time for about five minutes to put him back to sleep (what a good big brother). The next night, the kids revolted, and said "NO!" to being awoken all night long. But there was no turning back......Tubby had to stay out of my room now for good. So once again, Daddy took him overnight on the floor, where Tubby remained asleep ALL NIGHT LONG. In fact, Daddy woke up every hour to check on him, afraid something was wrong. And last night, dear Crispy took Tubby up to bed with him at 8:30, Daddy tucked him in, and he remained in that cute little bed ALL NIGHT LONG, with only one episode of crying, to which Jonny simply stated from across the room,"Tubby, go nigh-nights.", and that was the extent of that. HOORAY!!!!

So, while my toddler is screaming on the floor today, and just collapsed in a sick, feverish nap on my lap, Laura's cheeks rosier than any shade of red I have ever seen, and a still rather upset tummy for me just daring me to eat today......at least we can ALL be rest assured of a good night's sleep tonight! So perhaps it is not all bad!!!!

1 comment:

Alison said...

Wow, we haven't attempted the big boy bed with our Thomas yet. I'm scared of what would happen. He sleeps so well in his crib, I think I'll just let him keep it until he's 18 or so. I'll buy a new one for the new baby - or something. Good job to all the big brothers and sisters for helping out. I'm impressed.