Monday, August 4, 2008

Shhhh! Don't Tell Anyone...

Don't quote me on this, but I think I actually had fun playing golf today. I played in a fund raising tournament for the Waconia Hockey Association with 3 other extremely nice women on my team who never play golf either. We were well matched (though two of them could drive the ball pretty well), and spent 5 hours basically laughing at ourselves and having a really nice time. Not only did I look fabulous in a lilac and white golfing outfit matched with my pink and lilac clubs, but I actually had several decent shots today.....we even used 4 of MY shots on one hole alone! It was really necessary for me to have some mild success after all of these golf lessons. With several bad times at the driving range over the past few weeks, I was ready to throw it all in the lake and never look back.

If it had not been for the horrid heat of what, 178 degrees and 235% humidity and no breeze(I don't know where my husband gets the notion that I over exaggerate things), it would have been a lovely day indeed. I think I had a bit of heat stroke, as my teammates insisted we skip the last hole to go inside....I must have looked bad, because despite my insisting we could go on, they all argued back that they preferred to skip a trip to the ER. See, heat intolerance is one thing I am NOT over exaggerating!

The Waconia golf course was beautiful! So many winding hills and trees galore. It was like being in a whole other world....hard to believe I was only 3 miles from my house! We enjoyed a gourmet dinner after our game (I never looked, but I would guess we came in around last place amongst the 111+ golfers). I got to experience a little bit of what the "rich and famous" in Waconia are all about in the room full of thick pocketed hockey parent big wigs. Why is it that something as simple as a children's hockey program has to be so laden with inside "politics"? It just takes some of the fun out of it all. Oh well, I can't imagine Bob and I ever being that involved, so as long as it does not affect our own kids' enjoyment of the sport, we can keep our distance.

And where was Bob during this prime golfing opportunity? He was at home watching the kids! How's that for a change! Poor Bob...I think it nearly killed him to be missing this! Thank you!

Thank you to my mom who picked up Jonny from theater camp at our church (they are working on Fiddler on the Roof this week with a performance Saturday night), and then spent some time with the kids before Bob came home with Melissa from riding. The kids were excited to have you come over!

No comments: