Saturday, May 3, 2008

Saturday Musicals

Yesterday was just one crazy day of things not going our way. So many things were going wrong, hardly any were going right. Jonny said we could write a book about that day with all the crazy stuff that was happening. I said, "Yeah, and then we could burn it in the fire and never be reminded of it again." I decided to save a step and not even write about it. But I will post this nice picture of Alex and his girlfriend.....I took them to open skating last night as Jonny and Melissa were at dress rehearsal at church.




**********************************************

We ended up with a free morning, which is highly unusual for a Saturday. Soccer had been cancelled already by last night because of the constant barrage of raindrops yesterday. It really was too bad.....this morning was sunny and beautiful! These kids have each missed more than half of their scheduled games already due to rain and snow. I don't know how possible it really is to reschedule them all. This was suppose to be our last week of soccer, but now it will go until the end of May.

At 1:15, we left for the kids' much rehearsed musicals at church. They needed to be there early since the boys both had speaking parts, so that they could get fitted for wireless mics (our church is very high tech). Melissa and I hung out together while the boys were busy. We decided to make a quick trip to Kwik Trip for water bottles the kids could drink between the performances. The kids had a very long day ahead of them with two shows, each running over an hour long.



The musicals were great. Crispy did a nice job sitting in center stage as one of the ranch campers. He spoke clearly and well, with mightly fine inflection in his tone for a six year old. He was so cute sitting up there....so grown up already. He use to be my little buddy....now my little buddy is sitting up on stage in front of hundreds of people, flawlessly speaking his memorized lines. What an independent little guy.




Melissa was a trooper as a choir member, singing and singing, with cute little smiles on her face. It takes a lot of energy to stand there for so long!

Jonny was incredible! As one of the main characters, he had lines in almost every scene. He was totally into character....southern accent, cook's hat and apron, well spoken, clearly crisp voice, well poised....he convinced me that he was actually "Bubba" the head cook at the Solid Rock Cafe. Not only that, but Jonny also had a singing solo! Out of over 130 kids, he was the youngest main character.......he has most certainly found his niche! He certainly gets this side of talent from Daddy (who was tickled with pride watching his son today).



Laura enjoyed watching the performances. Afterall, she has been listening to these songs on CD in the truck for the past 4 months....she can sing along with the rest of them, and probably would have done just fine in the choir on stage! She got a bit antsy after the first 20 minutes. I was lucky enough to get to stay through both performances so that I could watch the second show without little four year old hands in my face and a wiggly bony butt on my lap.


We had an improptu dinner at our house with all the relatives who came out to see the musical. Thanks to our local Chinese restaurant, we had a delicious, stress free meal, and lots of time to sit back and chit chat. What a lovely family day.

1 comment:

Alison said...

Wow, great job to all your young actors and actresses. I had to laugh about you being able to sit and watch without a bony butt on your lap - isn't that the truth! Why do they all have such bony little butts? My Ethan has the boniest little butt I have ever had on my lap. It actually hurts to have him sit on me. I groan (inwardly) every time he asks to sit on my lap.