Thursday, March 20, 2008

CSI: Zajac Garage

Thursday is the greatest day of the week~Garbage Day! Hooray! I just love the satisfaction of overfilling my garbage canisters and getting as much junk out of my house as I possibly can. Perhaps by looking around, no one can tell the difference, but I can tell, and I know the amount of which has been purged. I wish we had at least 2 or 3 garbage days a week...now that would be truly helpful to me!

This week is also recycle week, so I spent a few hours in the garage this morning breaking down more of the Christmas light boxes. I still had a third of them left which probably amounted to somewhere in the neighborhood of 70 boxes of various sizes. This has to be one of the most boring tasks, but at least it produces some noticeable results which provides a sense of accomplishment for my time spent. My baby, on the other hand, was none too well pleased with this interruption of his morning snuggling with Mommy routine. Cry Cry, poor little guy. What a way to spend the last day of his infant year.

I also decided to finally clean up the interesting mess in the middle of our garage. While Bob spends hours in the garage in the late fall putting his Christmas lights together, he keeps plenty of pop and beer on hand. One particular box of diet soda, sitting in the back of Crispy's 4-wheeler, had accomplished a trick on its own. At some point during the winter, the cans had literally exploded, some with entire tops that were found on the other side of the garage, some which had looked as they had been ripped straight through the middle. Our ceiling was covered in soda splash marks, some so distinct that it was clear the force at which the liquid hit the ceiling was obviously great. It was bizarre. And scary. I would imagine that anyone in the path of the explosion could have become injured by flying pop can tops as lethal as Chinese stars. I will have to research this reaction and get some answers. I am pretty sure that I will not be drinking any diet soda in the future (which I rarely do as it is)....there must be something pretty funky in there to cause it to spontaneously explode.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting how much time I can waste researching expoding pop cans on the internet. More information than any person could ever need. Appears it is not uncommon for any kind of pop when frozen.

Blessed By 8 said...

Wow...thanks for doing the research! And thanks for posting the comment!! :o)

Alison said...

Coke must make stronger cans - ours didn't explode, but were frozen solid. It was pretty hard to drink, and interestingly, once thawed, they didn't taste like they ususally do. Coke with ice - good. Coke frozen into ice - bad. (That's how Matthew likes to say it.)