Saturday, March 29, 2008

Sisters for Life

I was never lucky enough to have any sisters. Sure, I had two brothers, and we all got along, and I certainly cherish them and would not trade them away. But I had always hoped that somewhere, somehow, I would end up with a like-minded, interest-sharing female sibling living in my home. There just seems to be some special, unbreakable bond between sisters that nothing else can match. And the joys of sharing clothes, makeup, and doing each other's hair....what fun!

What I have been blessed with instead, are some wonderful women whose friendships are beyond compare. Like true sisters, there is a different and special bond I have with each of them that can withstand any storm and any distance. They ground me and keep me afloat (at the same time)....I can not imagine life without them. For them, I am thankful, and would not trade any of them for a flesh and blood sister version.

Tracey, is one such friend. We met in first grade, and were joined at the hip throughout all of elementary school. We were both sister-less in our families, but seemed to grow up as sisters ourselves. Most of my childhood memories include her. I would have been lost without her. Though separated in our teen years by differing high schools and interests, we never lost touch, and I still consider her to be like family today. She was the one who introduced me to my husband, and she is Godmother to 2 of my children. I am honored to be Godmother to her daughter, and to have been there for the wondrous miracle of Lizzie's birth. It was this day, six years ago, that we were celebrating today.

The kids and I were more than two hours late for the party due to nothing other than what? Hockey, of course! This time it was my own hockey commitment getting in the way, as we just received word the night before about the rapid beginnings of Chicks with Sticks. Separated by distance and busy lives with active children, we had not seen each other since a few days after Tracey's baby was born in August, so we were so very excited about coming to Lizzie and brother David's parties. Unfortunately, both Laura and Michael (Tracey's Godchildren) were unable to come with because of illness....I had to start Laura on nebs again yesterday morning, and today she has a fever. But the rest of us had a great time. It was WONDERFUL to see my little Lizzie again...and so hard to believe she is six years old already! She is so pretty and smart...and getting so grown up....where does the time go? The kids all played well together for more than 3 hours, using their imaginations to turn people into roast beef(don't ask), playing freeze tag, and playing in the awesome bonus room above the garage completely filled with toys ( I SO need one of those!). Thomas and baby Jonny (7 months old), hung out with us moms. Thomas kept busy chasing after the 2 dogs and 2-year-old David. Both babies were so happy and well behaved, that Tracey and I got to TALK.....like ADULTS. For HOURS. Cool!

Night came much too quickly. At 10 o'clock, I forced myself to drag us out of the house though I think that all of us would have been content to stay much much longer. It is always so hard to leave...the visits are so much fun, and much too long in between. Jonny and I had a long, quiet ride home from Ham Lake as the 3 little ones all fell asleep within the first 10 minutes. As I drove, I reflected on the wonderful visit we just had, and thanked God for the beautiful "sister" he had placed in my life more than 31 years ago.

No comments: