Saturday, March 8, 2008

Double Duty

I am not in any way condoning stem cell-embryonic research, but on days like today, it would really be helpful to have a clone of myself. Actually, when I think about it, it would be very helpful EVERYDAY. The clone could do all of the cleaning, laundry, organizing, and partial cooking(I would want to do some of that myself, as a hobby), and I could spend the entire day playing with my kids. It sounds lovely.

Jonny was off to the Pinewood Derby this morning with Grandma. I was very bothered by not being able to go.....Jonny and I had made the car together (along with the help of 4 dads from his den), and we had looked forward to this as special time together for quite a while. Crispy, the baby, and I left 15 minutes later, driving out to Bloomington for his hockey Jamboree....the big event to end his first hockey season. The girls stayed at home, properly addicted to the computers in the library, playing Webkinz online with each other. It is funny to me that even my just-turned-4-year-old is playing online multi-playered games just as well as the oldest of them. Games, online chat, checking messages, making your own house, buying and selling in the Webkinz world....I watch her play and don't have a clue about what is going on.

While I was at the arena, Jonny called me to update his race. Each car raced down the track 8 times, and averages were taken (all done by computer) to determine winners. Though Jonny did not come close to winning, at least his car came in first and second on a few of the rounds. It wasn't a total slaughter like most years, so we at least have made some progress. He was also proud to bring home a second place ribbon for "Cutest Car". Out of nearly 100 cars, that's not too shabby!

Crispy was back in la-la-land today, meandering back and forth on the ice, as if he could care less about the puck. Sometimes I would like to have one of those little transmitters to put in my children's ears to instruct them from afar: "Crispy! Pay attention! Go get the puck! Help your team! Pay attention! Wake up! Focus! Love you!" It reminds me of Alex at the same age when he would just stand on the soccer field, looking at the dandelions popping up all around on the green grass, skipping circles, singing songs to himself, and every now and then looking up to proudly wave at us on the sidelines, beaming ear to ear. That is the memory I hold dear in my mind of Alex's sports involvement....who cares how many (if any) goals he had made...those smiles and excited waves were genuine and heartfelt, and more precious than anything else that existed in the game.

Crispy and I stopped at Burnsville Mall on the way home to do some much needed mall shopping for the upcoming church performance. We had a nice lunch together, and he was a great little shopper. I finally got to buy some jeans that are long enough for me to wear, which was a nice bonus for my day. Though I did not get to spend the day as I had planned with Jonathan, it ended up being a wonderful one on one time with Christopher instead. And like Jonny, his kind and helpful demeanor puts him at risk also, of being overlooked and taken for granted in our busy family. I hope they both had a good day and felt special today, because they sure are.

No comments: