Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Grossology: Day 2

I heard a very tiny joke on the radio this morning that I actually could remember more than 30 seconds later : This is the one day of the year that tells you what to do~ March Fo(u)rth. Ha ha!

I decided to march forth with my cleaning today. Garbage. Out of all the rooms came many little bags of garbage from the floors. I am talking bedrooms today, because my pile of papers is still sitting on the table, glaring at me...I think that it grew teeth overnight and is just waiting to pounce and attack, so I am staying even farther away today. I can't believe what little piggies I have living here. If there were ever a fire, we would all be goners....no question.

I can't remember if I have blogged on this or not, but Melissa will be taking some extra private horseback riding lessons beginning this Monday. Her trainer envisions that Melissa will be able to ride independently this year, and would like to move her up to a new group of riders at that level. These extra lessons will bring her up to par with this new group. Melissa is thrilled. That meant that I had to get on the ball and order her some new riding stuff ASAP. Thanks to the wonderful world of ebay and other online shops, her new purple helmet, purple boots, pink gloves, and purple and pink riding sweater all came in the mail today.

As soon as I brought her home from school, she tried them all on. We spent time adjusting the pretty helmet (this part was not so much fun for her), and getting the gloves on just right. She looked so adorable in her matching purple and pink gear! She headed over to her Fur Real pony, Roy, so that I could take a picture. As I turned for my camera, she said, "Oh no!" and covered her face. Big drops of blood were dripping from her nose, and one had splashed on the floor next to her pony. Michael grabbed a pile of kleenex for me as I helped Melissa lean her head back. The nose wouldn't stop bleeding, and I was not quite sure what to do....we have been blessed to not have to deal with bloody noses here more than 3-4 times. Crispy brought me an ice pack, and Michael brought me the rest of the kleenex box. We had now gone through about 1/4 of the box, and it was not slowing down in the least. I was getting a bit concerned, simply because this is unfamiliar territory for me, and I had no idea why it was bleeding. I noticed what looked like a squishy bloody bugar at the end of her nostril, so I took a new kleenex to wipe it away.

Well, that apparently squishy little bugar, was anything but little. As I wiped it away, it kept coming out. I pulled a mucousy, bloody snake, more than 12 inches long from my sweet little girl's nose. As the clot kept coming, Melissa began freaking out (as did the rest of the kids at this point, and I must admit, even I was beginning to become a bit nauseated)....I could not tell if she was just scared, or if it was hurting...perhaps it wasn't really a clot after all, but a string of brain matter unravelling through her nasal passageway? The kids were screaming, now hiding in the other room, Michael ran outside, and poor Melissa was beside herself in fear. The baby sat on the floor, just staring up at her....he looked so confused, yet fascinated and sat motionless , just watching. When it was finally over, we all breathed a sigh of relief, and I relaxed, now sure that it was not brain matter, but just a big clot. Upon removal, all bleeding stopped, and Melissa was free to run away and cower with her siblings. I never did get that picture taken...somehow, we lost the Kodak Moment.

No comments: