Friday, March 21, 2008

Happy First Birthday, Tubby!

I can't believe that my baby is one today. The day he was born was such a fantastic day....his beauty was stunning. He remains to emulate all that is wonderful about babies...he is just a perfect little guy in every way. I can see all of my pretty little baby boys in him~it is like all the perfect cuteness of each one of them rolled into one massively adorable little boy. And to think that this is my last little baby turning one....wow....it is hard.

Tubby spent his day getting the royal special treatment from everyone in the family. First off, because of the 8 inches of new fallen snow overnight, Bob was snowed in and waited until 8:30 to leave for work, meaning that the baby and I got to sleep in. Michael spent this extra time making a birthday banner for Thomas that was strung across the living room, and the other kids made him birthday cards. His smiles and excitement shone all day long...like he just somehow knew he was special today.

The snow was so pretty, and completely covered everything outside in big fluffy whiteness. I searched out and found a very old snowsuit (that Alex had worn as a baby) and bundled my birthday baby boy to take him out to play. I wonder how many birthdays he will have in the middle of a winter storm? He enjoyed it for roughly 4 minutes, then spent the rest of the time crying. He was not impressed with this birthday outing. The rest of the kids worked hard in our tiny front yard (our dog owns the expansive backyard) making cute snow bunnies(Easter is coming!)~with real rabbit turd eyes, fort walls, and snowballs. I shovelled most of the walkway, but the stuff was so heavy that without guilt, I gave up my intentions of clearing the driveway too.

Back inside, Michael set up Thomas' birthday present. He spent a good 3-4 hours putting about 100 little plastic pieces together, and pulling them apart numerous times to get the ball pit/slide contraption put together in the appropriate order. After enduring carpal tunnel in both thumbs(I wonder what that is called) and countless moments of frustration, his efforts paid off, and the item was a big hit for Tubby and everyone else. Thomas was so excited about all those balls to throw everywhere(his favorite thing to do after carrying around tubes). And the sides are all just the perfect height for him to hang onto while he practices standing. He spent the rest of the afternoon in happy happy joyland excitedly cheering with glee.

Having skipped his afternoon nap, Thomas fell asleep just as his grandparents arrived for his very impromptu and intimate party. He was so exhausted from the fun afternoon that he did not even stir as I passed him to Grandpa to hold during our Pizza Ranch dinner(I didn't get a chance to go to the grocery store because of the snow). When he finally awoke about an hour later, he was very unsure of all of the people who had magically appeared in our house. Instead of acting excited, he spent the evening being sleepy, suspicious, shy, and bugged. Poor kid....between 4 of us taking pictures, I hope that maybe someone got a picture of him smiling...I don't seem to have one! This picture was taken in the afternoon when I finished making his cake...it is cute, but dark. I may have to finally break down and order the photo program that came with our computer so that I can adjust it.

Thomas took a few licks of his banana-chocolate monkey cake, and seemed to like the chocolate frosting. I think this was his first introduction to chocolate. He started to warm up to his party guests after that. Laura and friend Zoe, helped/opened his birthday presents and cards, and Blaise tried out all of Tubby's new toys. His favorite (besides the ball pit park)seems to be a soft Minnesota Wild hockey stick from the kids. He carried it around, cheering, and happily pounding the floor. I wonder how life will be with 3 kids in hockey??

On Thomas' behalf, he would like to thank Grandma and Grandpa C, Grandma ?,his family, and the Smith's, and everyone else who knows~and therefore loves~him, for making his first birthday year such a special occasion. Though he may not always have shown it, he told me later, as he was falling asleep, that he is very appreciative and thankful that so many wonderful people love him. He also said that this was his best birthday party ever!

1 comment:

Alison said...

Do you know what my favorite thing to do in life is? "Developing" pictures (digitally). Send me your pics and I will adjust them for you - then you don't have to buy the software, and I get to indulge in my hobby! Happy Birthday Thomas! We've been thinking about you!