Wednesday, March 19, 2008

If Only in Our Imaginations

My kids are on Spring Break this week, and once again, we are going nowhere. I feel bad for them, as most of their friends are gone, to some exotic vacation spot and here we sit, smack in the middle of Minnesota, in our very own, boring home. Poor kids. I thought that at the very least, we could maybe spend a night at the new hotel, so the kids could say that they went somewhere...never mind that it was only one mile from our house. But even that just is not going to fit into our schedule. Between St. Patrick's Day(s), Thomas' first birthday, and Easter all in the very same week, it just does not work out to leave...not even for a night.


I brought the kids to Mary's today as I watched her kids while she had an appointment. The kids had a great time running around the house, making pictures, playing pretend princesses and Star Wars, and spending time together. I think that it helped to ease some of their vacation doldrums. Even the babies played together (as much as babies can play). It was a nice time, and our visits always include good food which is always a bonus for Mary and I. While she was gone, I baked up a batch of the amazing banana bread, and fed the kids lunch. That left Mary and I to a stress-free lunch of our own when she came home with great food and curry soup from Noodles. Yummy. Even Thomas liked my very spicy peanut noodles. Maybe he has just been holding out, waiting to eat foods with real flavor?


Poor Jonny had to miss the visit to his Godmother's house...he has not been feeling well for a few days. It had started with a migraine on Monday, and a fever yesterday, now a stuffy nose and general malaise. It is a little odd that no one else has gotten sick. Makes me curious what is going on with him. He spent the day resting at home (while Alex slept in til the afternoon hours), and reading through another book and a half. Such a good reader....and some of you have been honored to read his novel in the making!


The other kids spent a few hours playing outside when we got home. It was another beautiful Spring-ish day. It is so nice to open the windows and hear the kids laughing, yelling(merrily), and playing in the front yard. Melissa and Laura had their Webkinz all outside, and each one was involved in some very specific plan. I think Crispy and Jonny were hatching kinz-napping plans that they attempted to execute when the girls were not looking. Their imaginations are so wonderful and fun. It is so sad that we lose that as adults. Why is that? It would be so much more fun to imagine ourselves with whatever we want or need instead of having to work long and hard hours at a job to make money to get it. I guess that is not very realistic, but sometimes it would really be nice just to escape into the mind of a kid for just a little while to rejuvenate. *Sigh* Now I'm off to shine my sink....I keep just trying to imagine it all clean and shiny, but unfortunately there are quite physical limits to the power of positive thinking.

No comments: