Friday, March 7, 2008

Pinewood Prep

Jonny, our responsible, helpful, and sadly, often neglected son, has his Pinewood Derby this weekend. I had intended to devote this weekend to spending quality time with him as he seems to be overlooked and shuffled from one person to another (family or otherwise). But two days ago, Bob informed me that he was working tomorrow(derby day). Being that Crispy has his end of the year "hockey tourney" this weekend, I now am stuck doing that instead....he can not be sent alone for such a big, end of the year deal, and besides, who would get him dressed? He is much too young to independently deal with all of that gear. Grandma Z will be coming to the rescue again tomorrow for Jonny. She IS the appropriate choice as she has probably attended more cub scout events with him than I have.



So, tonight had to become the focused time with Jonny. Our den was responsible for the derby this year, so Jonny and I put in our time (3 hours) this evening. We helped check in all of the cars. It was kind of fun to see all the kids come in one by one and to view the extreme variety of cars up close. I am always amazed at how different each one looks, though they all begin from the same slab of wood. Kind of like the uniqueness of humans, I guess. During the slow times, Jonny hung out with his friends, and got to see his car race down the track a few times. His car turned out to look pretty cute, but once again, is not going to be much of a quick racer, I am afraid. Oh well. Poor Jonny. He seems excited about tomorrow anyhow.

No comments: