Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Have Herbs, Will Cook

Nothing is much better in cooking than using fresh herbs....this is even better when the herbs come from your own garden.....this is even BETTER when your garden is growing on your kitchen counter top! The once little herb garden started on Valentine's day is now a jungle on our center island. In particular, the mint and basil are having a contest to see who can overtake my whole kitchen. The basil is at a bit of a disadvantage as it continues to grow upwards, increasing its risk of death by fluorescent bulb....but the large leaves it produces gives it leverage to try to snuff out the shorter plants. The mint has had enough of basil's guff, and has taken off over the edge, growing around the back, and sideways, producing a rather impressive collection of green, minty, goodness. We have now become in the habit of pinching off a leaf every time we walk by to attempt to control the population problem (it also is a nice calorie-free treat!).


I have been using the basil to make bruschetta, pizza, and to top off our eggplant dish this evening. I have so much right now, that I will be able to make a batch of pesto...I have not done that in about 10 years! Garlic bread was sprinkled with fresh parsley. These herbs have been great! I have been inspired to cook even more than normal. If this is any indication, we have gone through 20 pounds of flour since March 1 ! It has all been a part of our going back to nature type of movement around here....getting rid of the processed gunk and chemicals that litter our lives. It may be a bit more work, but it is so much better, and tastier too! I just need to find some good recipes to use up my mint (Mojitos have been suggested!). I should have thrown some in with the Bananas Foster dessert this evening.


Quick update on Tubby: Thomas is consistently eating food equalling about the size of one quarter now. Not at one time....taking itty bitty bites, so that when all is said and done, the TOTAL he has eaten is the size of a quarter. It is a start, and at least now we know he CAN swallow. He enjoys food with taste...he just balks at boring old baby biscuits. Thomas is also very proud of his ability to stand at furniture, and is getting daring enough to take small sideways steps while hanging on. He inevitably ends up on his butt, but at least he is trying!


2 comments:

Alison said...

Sorry to hear Thomas is not so interested in eating, but at least your baby doesn't have a weight gain problem. Our Thomas eats as much as I do, but the kid won't gain any weight. I've been fortifying his food with whole milk and 1/2 stick of butter every day - and he still loses! It's starting to drive me nuts!

Alison said...

Oh, and I love you aerogarden. I may have to head over to google and find out how I can purchase one for myself. Thanks for the inspiration!