Thursday, April 3, 2008

A Tisket, A Tasket, Too Many Baskets

What a happy springy day! My mom came out here in the afternoon to beat the rush hour traffic....we were having dinner at the elementary school tonight. After a quick lunch, we HAD to go to the park. On a day like today, it would have almost been a sin not to. Laura was a bit dismayed to be taken away from her laptop, but warmed up to the idea of being at the park after riding the swings for a few minutes. Thomas had his first ride on the swings also....he seemed quite content swaying back and forth, "singing" the whole while. Laura has been busy composing her own songs these days. She has gotten very good at rhyming words together and putting them to song. A few days ago, she sang this song while picking up Crispy from the bus: "I don't want to go to JAM, I just got to make a plan....", and then something else I can not remember. Today she sang, "I'm coming back to you, I'm coming back to you, I'm coming back to you, in the Lord!" Watch out, American Idol!

The spaghetti dinner at the school is one of the highlights of the year. Alex even came with us tonight....it was great spending time with him! A silent auction fundraiser is held along with it in the gym. Many baskets are available to bid on, all with unique themes and items such as trendy toys, books, baking supplies, camping gear, gift certificates, etc., donated by student families from all of the separate classrooms. The kids love walking up and down the aisles, picking out their favorites to bid on. Unfortunately, their favorite baskets are typically favorites for many other kids also, meaning fierce bidding wars. Some years we get lucky, but I do not recall last year being one of them.

Tonight started off well, and it looked like we were going to win some nice items. After dinner, Jonny stayed behind to serve his student council clean-up shift. We came back to the baskets to check our bids, and wouldn't you know it, we were outbid on nearly all of them. In the 10 minutes left, we scrambled up and down the aisles, increasing bids on the ones we REALLY wanted. This was difficult as 100s of other people were scrambling too! It was kind of crazy...and HOT in that small gym. The other half of the gym was filled with face painting, clowns, and a teacher DDR dance off contest, so it was very noisy also. Alex and the other kids retreated to the park outside in the glow of a beautiful orangy-pink sunset. Not to be left empty handed this year, I put some bids on things we needed anyways like beach towels and sports balls that other people were not so flocked to. Even so, it was looking like we would be lucky if we even went home with one or two baskets.

In the end, the Grandmas and I made quite the haul. My mom won this gorgeous pink and green handmade quilt, and Pam got a BARGAIN on a new DVD player (she out-bid me!). I was shocked when I brought my number up to the table and 7 baskets were listed in my name! Oh my! Well, the money all goes to the school, so it is a great donation, but 7 baskets amounts to about 40 new items in our already bursting home. The favorites were a Hannah Montana basket with shirt, purse, books, and old fashioned alarm clock with bells for Melissa, and some really great sports balls for the boys (all the ones we have are pretty cheap). The kids were pretty excited as we walked to our truck, laden with baskets in every arm. I guess we were pretty lucky this year!

No comments: