Monday, April 28, 2008

Mommy Guilt

Recovery day.....yesterday was a bit rough, so today was spent doing some much needed recuperation. A few loads of laundry, making a small lunch, going through some counter clutter, crossing a few "t"'s, changing a few poopy diapers, boring, boring stuff. Let's see.....I set up our new phones...that was kind of fun. Our old cordless of eight years has not been holding a charge very long despite trying new batteries, so we had to say good-bye. These new phones come with 4 separate headsets that we have in various places around the house. With the option to add two more, we should be well covered. The phones also have talking caller ID, so now we can hear if we want to pick up the phone and never move our lazy butts off the chair to go check. We can also check messages from any phone in the house. All very nice features for our very lazy bunch.

With Crispy's help, we put up the new baby gate at the bottom of the stairs. Tubby has taken quite a liking to climbing. When he is not playing hockey, he spends his time on his climber, going up and down, up and down. He is such a busy little guy. He likes to do the same thing on the stairs....however, falling down onto the harder-than-ceramic-tile at the bottom would not a pretty picture make. To put it nicely, Tubby was not happy about this new obstacle in his path. We got to experience one of his little baby tantrums which seem to be becoming more frequent these days. It is so funny how he throws himself backward and kicks and screams. What does he think he is going to accomplish?

Even with the slow pace of our day, I found myself stressed about the evening. Mondays are so busy and tough with activities for the kids. Melissa had riding, and I had another hockey lesson right after that, meaning that Grandma would have to meet me in the parking lot again at the arena to do a kid swap. Bob would have to go to the Marching Band meeting and deal with separate payments, forms, uniforms, and other things that had to be taken care of while there.....something he loathes to do. My house is still a pit, and I really need to have some time to pick up. I really should not be doing this hockey thing...there is not enough time. Stress, stress.

Once at the arena following over an hour long drive of detours from the farm due to construction on the main highway, kids safely with Grandma, I was able to take a big breath and enjoy my night. It is funny how I stress so much about going, and yet have a blast once I get there. This is the first thing I have really done for myself consistently since having all of these kids. Actually, I take that back....I was in the Community Band after Laura was born. That was a lot of fun, and it was great to be surrounded by music that had been such a huge part of my life. But I quit after only a year because of this stress I felt every rehearsal day. I really need to get over it and take this small amount of time for myself, right? Bob has golf and poker, and I wouldn't want him to give those up. I need to learn how to feel guilt free about going to hockey...for goodness sake, it is only one night every other week!

1 comment:

Alison said...

Wow, funny that we should post about the exact same thing only one day apart. I agree with you, you need to take time to do things that you truly enjoy. What's the point otherwise? If Mama aint happy, aint nobody happy. At least, that's what we believe at my house. :)