Saturday, February 9, 2008

They're Growing Up

More milestones for Thomas today. It started this morning with his usual perusing around the kitchen floor while I did the dishes and made lunch. He then started picking up small things from the floor...still typical for him. The next part was a surprise...he put those things in his mouth! Wow! Up to this point, anything edible placed anywhere near the vicinity of his tongue caused a gagging reaction near to the point of puking. This was excellent progress. I ripped a small piece of cheese from our homemade tortillas, and he refused to even open his mouth. I put him back on the floor, and he began to scavenge again, trying chips and peanuts almost faster than we could stop him. Hrmmmmm....

I decided to encourage this new experimenting of his in a safer environment. With Michael posted on Baby Choking Guard, I brought the high chair up from the basement, and quickly wiped it down (hey, even 2 years of caked on food was no match for my new cleaning products). Thomas looked so proud and excited to be sitting in a big chair. I placed the same ripped up cheese on the small tray in front of him. Lo and behold, the boy took it up in his little fingers, placed it in his mouth, "chewed" on it for what seemed like an eternity, must have swallowed, then reached for another piece. He can eat!!! No gagging involved! Incredible!

This new skill of his allowed me extra time to do things I normally do not have time for. I was able to clean my kitchen, do the dishes, make more tortillas, prepare dinner so we would not have to worry about it later after the hockey game, make bread with Laura, and even look up new recipes and make dessert. How about that?!

My oldest son had a growing up experience of his own tonight: his first semi-formal high school dance. He looked so handsome in his newly washed and pressed (and awesomely clean smelling) shirt, pants, and tie. It doesn't seem that long ago that he was the one sitting in that high chair in the corner. Now look at him! All dressed up, getting ready (albeit 40 minutes late) to pick up his girlfriend.

The wind chill was approaching -45 degrees as we crawled up the highway to her house, sometimes barely being able to see the road due to the newly fallen blowing snow. She looked beautiful, almost magical...very petite in her little green dress. What a night for these poor girls in their spaghetti strapped gowns! Though very exciting, it almost made me cry, taking pictures of my first baby with his girlfriend of 1-1/2 years. Why does time speed by so fast? Jonny and I took turns opening the car doors against the brittle winds for the special occupants in our car. As we watched the two of them enter the building surrounded by similarly dressed "growing-up" kids, we both commented on how "sad" it was.....but "sad" in a "happy" way, if that makes any sense.

No comments: