Friday, February 1, 2008

Two for Tea, and Tubby Makes Three

After such a wonderful time having tea with my friend in town a few weeks ago, I have been dying to go back. Today was the day. And it was as lovely as the time before. There is something just so relaxing about sitting there, taking the time out to sip tea and just talk. It didn't matter that my baby was on the floor playing by my feet or that the little sleeping daycare babies in the next room woke up one by one and joined us. We were still taking a bonifide break...and I think that that is something that neither of us do very willingly or often since there just always is so much to do!

Getting out helps me realize how much I have walled myself in over the past few years. Too many months of bedrest, new babies, and other health issues have only served to provide me more excuse for my own hibernation. And for a self-proclaimed introvert, this is a very safe and comfortable place to be! I think that it is very realistic to expect that while the inside of our house is changing and finding a healthier balance, that it is appropriate to promote some healthy change outside the house as well~ expanding all of our horizons, with a little effort applied. I think that we could all benefit greatly from this.....it is pretty easy for us just to sit here with our big family in our own little world, not sharing it or benefiting from others.

Michael had a spontaneous outdoor hockey practice tonight, and Moms and Dads were invited to come out and skate along. I do love to skate, but was not the least bit interested in going out there to skate with all the hockey dads. On the other hand, it would mean a lot to Michael just to have me there and involved...especially since it is my neighbor who nearly always brings him to practices. After going through my list of excuses (too cold, too tired, what about the baby, if someone checks me I'm going to be killed, etc.), it just didn't seem right not to go. So in light of desiring improved social skills for myself and my family, I reluctantly dragged my lazy self out to the truck, dug out my skates, found one of Michael's old hockey sticks, and drove myself to the outdoor rink in Victoria after dropping Alex off at a friend's house.

The air was cold, the ice was bumpy, and as I had expected, it was only dads out on the ice. As I entered the small warming shack to don my skates(it was literally a shack...like an ice fishing house), I heard the familiar voice of my neighbor inside. Oh good, another girl! Upon entering the skating area, it was clear that we were out of our element...these guys were all so fast! And they had all their protective gear on....I had a sweatshirt hoodie and a flimsy pair of jeans that wouldn't even protect me from a flying ice shard. Perhaps this really wasn't a good idea.

My neighbor and I decided to stick to the edges of the rink, quietly passing an extra puck we had found back and forth. Keeping control of the puck was harder than it looked. The boys and their dads whizzed past us at lightning speeds....though it was suppose to be a simple innocent game of pond hockey, I think everyone was out for blood. Besides the occasional laughter coming from my neighbor or myself as we made fun of our hockey prowess, the guys all seemed to be taking things very seriously. I hope I didn't embarrass my son too much....

We were out there for about 2 hours. It was a beautiful winter night, one I would have missed if I had stayed on my cozy couch at home. It was nice to spend some time with Michael (and I didn't freeze, fall asleep, the baby was fine, and I didn't die), see him in full hockey action up close, and I think he was genuinely happy that I was there. It was also another baby step towards improved socialization, and the only battle scars it cost me were a few ice scrapes on my left cheek.....I'm pretty sure I'll recover just fine.

1 comment:

Alison said...

Interesting...I never thought of you as an introvert. Perhaps we think everyone else is just like us - I am an extrovert and assumed that you must be too. That probably explains why I've had such a harder time learning to be a stay at home mom than you seem to have - you are just a natural - I'm fighting my nature every day. Thanks for sharing your story!